Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    harryray
    Participant

I’ve just tried installing the latest version, 24.2, but I’m getting an error message stating that the existing installation was for all users, so I need to uninstall first. I don’t really want to uninstall it.
    My installation is, in fact, a per user installation now, but I think originally it was installed as all users.
    I tried installing to all users using the command line msiexec /i “(…path…)emed64_21.1.0.msi” MSIINSTALLPERUSER=””, but this didn’t work. Do I have to input the path to where my existing Emeditor is installed at the end after the equals sign?

The path to the installation file is “D:\emed64_24.2.0.msi”
    The existing path of current installation is C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\EmEditor\EmEditor.exe.

Could you please let me know the command line I should use to install please?
    Thanks.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

You must uninstall the current version of EmEditor if it was installed per-computer. It could have been installed from another user, so please check Windows Settings – Installed Programs.

However, if you are sure the current installation is per-user, please open **Registry Editor**, locate:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\EmSoft\EmEditor v3\Common

and delete ModulePath in this key (or delete this whole key).

The existence of this value determines if the current installation was per-computer.

harryray
    Participant

That’s easy, I’ll give it a try.

Also, I prefer, in general, to run programmes as portable and to keep everything in one folder. But with EmEditor. I prefer to install as you mentioned that performance is better when installed.
    Is it at all possible, to keep all files and folders, (such as the appdata folder) in one folder when EmEditor is installed?
    I realise there will still be reg entries, but these are easy to back up with the export function.

And, I do a lot of search, and search and replace. Would it be possible to increase the amount of searches that are stored to more than 64?
    Where are the search details kept, as I would like to back these up separately.

Thanks again.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

The performance difference between the desktop installer and portable versions is not significant. The difference primarily stems from reading and writing settings to the INI files versus the Registry. If you use many macros requiring settings changes, then the desktop installer might be better; otherwise, there is not much difference in performance. I would recommend using the INI files if the location of settings is important to you.

How many searches do you want to save?

Mark Foster
    Participant

Yutaka,

I understand that because my copy of EmEditor was installed for all users I now have to uninstall it to upgrade to the latest version.

Am I correct in supposing that I can restore all my preferences and customizations, including toolbar settings, key assignments and macros, using the Import and Export function under the Tools menu? Since my instance of EmEditor is using the registry, first “Export all settings into a registry file” before uninstalling v24.1.2, and then “Import all settings from a registry file” after installing v24.2.0?

Or perhaps all preferences and customizations are retained in the registry even after v24.1.2 is uninstalled, and thus are automatically available to v24.2.0 when it’s installed?

Thank you.

harryray
    Participant

It does appear that originally my Emeditor was originally installed to “all users” (which I actually prefer).
    I tried to install the latest version with:
    msiexec /i “D:\01 downloads\emed64_24.2.0.msi” MSIINSTALLPERUSER=””

But I’m getting the same error message of “the old version was installed for all users”, Is there something else I should be adding to the command line?
    I would also like to know this as when I set up my new computer, I want to install for all users.

I’m pretty sure I originally installed to all users, but later updates only allowed me to install ‘per user’. So when the updates were installed they were installed to my ‘appdata’ folder, rather than the program files folder.
    Presumably (I can’t remember), I deleted the files in the ‘program files’ folder.

Also, regarding saving my searches, I would like to save as many as possible (maybe, no limit).

Thanks.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Mark,

When you uninstall, you will have an opportunity to save the current settings, where you can answer YES to save the current settings. After you install the new version (per-user installation), you will see your old settings. You don’t need to export and import the current settings before you uninstall. Nevertheless, I recommend that you export the current settings to the Registry just in case you need to restore them later.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello harryray,

EmEditor v24.2 ends support for per-computer installations. Please uninstall the current version (per-computer) before installing the new version (per-user installation).

After you uninstall the old version, if you need to change the installation folder, please see FAQ: How do I change the install folder?

https://www.emeditor.com/faq/installation-faq/how-can-i-change-the-install-folder/

Alternatively, using the portable version can also help avoid problems. By default, the portable version creates INI files in the same folder as emeditor.exe to save settings. In the new version, settings can be saved to other folders by editing the eeUseIni.ini file located in the same folder as emeditor.exe. For example, if you change the eeUseIni.ini file as follows and save it in UTF-16LE (with BOM), the settings will be saved in the folder C:\Users\(username)\EmEditorSettings.

[IniDir]
    IniDir=%UserProfile%\EmEditorSettings

This method allows all users to share the app while having their own settings, similar to installing EmEditor per computer.

I wrote about it in my blog: https://www.emeditor.com/emeditor-core/emeditor-v24-2-0-released-gpt-4o-as-default-model-disable-ai-completely-for-admin-favorites-features/

Patrick C
    Participant

In case someone runs into an error when installing EmEditor`s local help emed_help_en_24.2.0.msi (https://www.emeditor.com/download-help/):

I did first uninstall the old help. Nonetheless the error remained.
    Solution:
    Remove all remaining files in
    c:\ProgramData\Emurasoft\EmEditor\Help\

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.